How to Get Rid of and Prevent Yellow Underarm Stains
Do you have yellow perspiration stains on your shirts? This is one of the most common problems that women face! The easiest solution is never let them happen in the first place, but if you have them, we've got some simple at-home remedies to clear them up.
3 Main Causes of Yellow Underarms
You may be asking yourself what causes the yellowing underarm on all your white and light coloured blouses. How is that despite wearing deodorant, you are always having to buy new white shirts.
Perspiration is mostly water, however it is made up of a small percentage of other things - ammonia, sodium chloride, urea and lactic acid. All of which cause the yellowing and embarrassing sweat stains.
The reaction of antiperspirant and sweat:
Aluminium based compounds, which are commonly found in most drugstore antiperspirants, cause our sweat ducts to swell and blocks the moisture from escaping. With time our sweat bonds with these compounds and chemicals before being released from our body, and as a result as the moisture escapes stains are left in the underarm of clothes.
Fitted Tops and Sleeves:
When moisture and sweat from your body gets trapped between skin and fabric for long periods of time, a build up of bacteria starts to form which creates odours. When this is left on our clothes for too long, damaging stains will appear.
How do you remove yellow stains from white clothing?
Baking Soda and Water
- Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with a quarter cup of water and scrub into the stain.
- Let the mixture sit on the stain for about an hour.
- Wash the piece of clothing in cold water, once complete check to see if the stain is removed, if not repeat before drying.
Vinegar and Water
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water into a spray bottle
- Spray onto stain and let sit for about an hour
- Wash the piece of clothing in cold water, once complete check to see if stain is removed, if not repeat before drying.
For the stubborn yellow stains...
Hydrogen Peroxide and Water
- Mix equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water
- Soak stain in mixture for 30 to 45 minutes
- Wash the clothing piece in cold water. Check to see if stain is removed, if not repeat before drying.
*Please take precaution when using hydrogen peroxide with coloured clothing as it may cause discolouring. Before using test a small, discrete area on the clothing item first.*
How to Prevent Yellow Underarm Stains on your Tops
Layer a Nudy Patooty undershirt under your blouses. The soft to the touch, barely there feeling of a Nudy, will protect your tops with our high-performance Sweat-Secret™ Technology and help keep your clothes clean longer.